Saturday, May 30, 2009

myron cope just might be proud

Though I love living in Pittsburgh as much as I love cupcakes, I have never been known to be a Steeler fan. However, I have said on many occasions that I am not above any celebration that calls for food. Thus, I present the treats I made for this year's Super Bowl.

*Note: I realize that it's been five months since the Super Bowl and already another Pittsburgh team is vying for another championship, but I'm still playing catchup. And rest assured there will be a Pens cake.

First, I made cupcakes for a Steelers party at work, where I made red velvet cake (my personal favorite) and dyed it pitch black. Add some piles of yellow cooked frosting and some Burgh jimmies, and there you have it. (I must add that my cupcakes went like hotcakes. Many a black and gold bagel were left behind in their wake.)



The pièce de résistance was the cake I made to look like Myron Cope's Terrible Towel for the game party. It was a cookies and cream cake with dyed buttercream frosting, decorated with black fondant which I eyeballed and cut by hand and topped off with piped frosting.



The cake was a hit. Most of my friends know that I typically call dibs on making desserts for our urban family gatherings, however one party guest did not know this and asked which bakery the cake came from, which was quite a compliment for me. I strive to out-bake Giant Eagle's Aunt Martha at all times.

Next year I will make another Steelers cake, if they make it to the Super Bowl again. A logo? Perhaps. Steely McBeam? Highly doubtful.




No comments: