Thursday, July 30, 2009

fortune cookies. without chinese takeout.

In celebration of Mark's 30th birthday, I decided to challenge myself with making homemade fortune cookies, complete with handwritten fortunes. I took photos while I made the first batch.

The batter is quite simple. Melt some butter in a saucepan.


Whisk in confectioners' sugar, an egg white, vanilla, and baking soda. It is a very small amount - deceivingly small.


Spread a tiny bit of batter into a thin circle on a piece of parchment paper. Only do two cookies at one time, because the cookie will quickly harden and you will be unable to bend it.


After a few minutes in the oven, pull out the cookies and place a fortune inside. Fold the batter (it burns your fingers - these cookies take some sacrifice) over a bowl and hold in place to form.


You will notice two things in that photo. Number one, there are broken scraps of cookie in the bowl. Number two, that's an engagement ring on the left hand. And it's not mine. It's Amber's. She's getting married next August (time out for a little squeeeee!). And she's also a fantastic sous chef.

The batter and cookies in the preceding photos didn't actually make it to Mark's present because they didn't harden up as I wanted them to. It turns out that I made the cookies too thick - they have to be thin to crisp up like the cookies you get at a Chinese restaurant.

So I got up the morning of Mark's birthday and made a new batch. And this is how they turned out.



I packaged them up in Chinese takeout boxes. You can also notice my greasy fingerprints on the lid. Go figure, my camera takes a good photo when you can see the evidence of the box being manhandled. Or womanhandled, I guess.


They were pretty delicious. And I think they touched his heart and his stomach. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

Face said...

They did indeed touch my heart and stomach. They were the nicest, sweetest (literally and figuratively), most wonderful things ever made for me.