Saturday, March 27, 2010

blueberry almond coffee cake

It's time to play catch up, since I've been busy baking this month and have lots to share. This was a coffee cake I made for a Saturday morning branch group. The recipe calls for fresh blueberries, but I used frozen since they are crazy expensive at this time of year. It actually worked out really well because I think the extra water made the cake a bit more moist.

This cake is also really tasty because of the buttermilk. Buttermilk makes an ordinary cake extra special. I try and make several things with buttermilk when I have to buy it because it's a shame for it to sit in the fridge and get gross. But I digress.

This coffee cake is made like a muffin. Prepare dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Mix.

Add blueberries to the batter. Mix it, put it in a prepared pan, and then dump some more on.

Make the topping: yum, yum, and yum. Almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

When it's done, it's golden. I don't even have a photo of a piece out of the pan because we basically devoured it. Next time you need a quick brunch item, definitely make this cake.

No comments: