Saturday, March 27, 2010

st. patrick's day cupcake craziness

I decided I wanted to make cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day, but I didn't really want to make green ones. Especially since I had seen a recipe in a Real Simple magazine for raspberry cupcakes with a swiss meringue buttercream. So I thought I'd just put the cupcakes in St. Patrick's Day wrappers and make shamrock chocolate filigrees. Let's start with those.

I drew some rough shamrocks on one side of parchment paper with a pencil. (I say rough because I am by no means an artist. You will see what I mean in a moment.)


I melted chocolate and put it in a frosting piping bag with a small round tip and traced the shamrocks on the non-pencil side. Then for extra support, I made squiggly lines inside so that they would stand once frozen. Into the freezer they went until later! (Notice the 2 cans of Diet Coke in the photo. I am an addict. I admit it.)


Now it's time for the cupcakes. We actually found fresh raspberries that weren't $5 a package. Hooray!


I got the dry ingredients and the milk/vanilla combination ready first.

Cream the butter and sugar, like usual, and add eggs.


Add dry ingredients and alternate with milk/vanilla.


And now my favorite part of the cake making process: when it looks like this...


Chop some raspberries, and put some in a food processor. Add the raspberry "slurry" to the batter.

After it's mixed, add the chopped raspberries.


I then tried to make the swiss meringue buttercream, but since the oven was on all day and the weather was warm, the frosting basically tasted like melted butter and virtually fell right off the beaters. Epic fail. So I hurried and found some lemons and improvised a lemon cream cheese frosting, which I made green. And in the rush, I didn't take a lot of pics. I had made little mini cakes as well for the chocolate filigrees, since there was leftover batter. So it ended up like this.


The raspberry cupcakes were amazing - so points to Martha Stewart for the recipe. And the lemon frosting was a great complement to the raspberry. (The recipe made about 10 times the mini cupcakes you see there. I was pawning them off on people for days. Luckily it wasn't too hard to find takers. :) )

No comments: